Overview of FSSAI Licence Registration in India
Food safety is of paramount importance to ensure the well-being of consumers. In India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) plays a crucial role in regulating and supervising the safety and standards of food products. Food licence online registration is mandatory for all food businesses in India to ensure compliance with the guidelines set by the authority.
In this article, we will provide a detailed guide to FSSAI licence registration in India, including the different types of licences, the registration process, and the benefits of obtaining an FSSAI licence.
Different Types of FSSAI Licences
There are three main types of FSSAI registration in India, based on the scale and nature of the food business. Let's explore them:
- Basic FSSAI Registration: It is suitable for small-scale food businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs. It applies to businesses such as petty retailers, small-scale manufacturers, and food stalls in temporary locations. The primary objective of this registration is to ensure basic food safety standards are followed.
- State FSSAI Licence: It is required for medium-sized food businesses with an annual turnover ranging between Rs. 12 lakhs and Rs. 20 crores. It is applicable to businesses operating within one state. This category includes food manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc.
- Central FSSAI License: This is mandatory for large-scale food businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores. It applies to businesses engaged in activities such as import, export, food manufacturing, operators in Central Government agencies, airports, seaports, etc. This license is necessary for businesses operating across multiple states or engaging in international trade.
FSSAI Licence Registration Process
The FSSAI license registration process involves the following steps:
- Fill out the Application Form
Obtain the application form either from the FSSAI website or by visiting the nearest Regional or Central Licensing Authority. Fill in the required details accurately and completely.
- Submit the Application
Submit the completed application form along with the necessary documents to the Regional or Central Licensing Authority. The documents may include identity proof, address proof, food safety management plan, layout plan, NOC from the local authorities, etc.
- Application Verification
Once the application is submitted, the FSSAI authorities will verify the provided information and documents. They may conduct inspections if required.
- License Issuance
After successful verification, the FSSAI license will be issued. The license will contain a unique registration or license number, which must be displayed prominently on the food business premises.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration Online
To complete the FSSAI registration process, you will need to submit specific documents depending on the type of registration (Basic, State, or Central) and the nature of your food business. Here is a general list of documents required for FSSAI registration:
For Basic FSSAI Registration-
- Identity & Address Proof
- Voter ID card
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Driving license
- Electricity bill
- Telephone bill
- Water bill
For FSSAI State Licence-
- Filled and signed Form-B/Declaration Form
- An affidavit on a non-judicial stamp paper declaring compliance with the FSSAI regulations and guidelines.
- List of food products to be manufactured, processed, stored, or sold at your food business premises.
- Partnership Deed, Certificate of Incorporation, or Memorandum of Association
- NOC from the local municipal corporation or other relevant authorities stating compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Depending on the nature of your food business, you may be required to submit additional documents such as NOC from the Fire Department, Organic Certification (for organic food businesses), etc.
Benefits of Obtaining an FSSAI Licence
Obtaining an FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) license comes with several benefits for food businesses. Here are the benefits explained in detail:
- Legal Compliance: By obtaining an FSSAI license, food businesses ensure compliance with the regulations and guidelines set by the authority. This helps them avoid legal troubles and penalties associated with non-compliance.
- Consumer Confidence: An FSSAI license serves as a mark of authenticity and quality assurance for consumers. It indicates that the food business complies with safety standards, hygiene practices, and quality control measures, thereby instilling confidence in consumers about the safety of the food products they consume.
- Brand Reputation: An FSSAI license enhances the brand reputation of a food business. It demonstrates a commitment to food safety and quality, which can differentiate the business from competitors and attract more customers.
- Business Expansion: With an FSSAI license, food businesses gain access to various growth opportunities. They can expand their operations and explore new markets, including participation in government tenders and contracts.
- Access to Export Markets: It ensures compliance with international food safety standards, making it easier to enter global markets and meet the requirements of foreign buyers.
The FSSAI license registration process provides long-term benefits for food businesses, including legal compliance, consumer confidence, and access to new opportunities. Obtaining a Food licence is not only a legal requirement but also a crucial step towards ensuring food safety and quality in India.